Methods of Communicating
Lecture Overview Index | Linux SysAdmin Homepage
Goals for this Topic:
- How to use email to contact your instructor and classmates
- Understand the uses and security issues of telnet vs secure shell
- Try out a few of the other classic UNIX communication tools
Files/directories and commands:
- ssh vs telnet
- talk (not installed on lampbusters)
- How do you use pine?
- How do you check out pine's online help?
- How do you check to see if you have email?
- How do you do the following with your email in pine?
- Read it
- Reply or forward
- Delete it
- Create and send
- What does telnet/ssh allow you to do? Why is telnet fading in use?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of talk/write?
- What is a .plan file?
- How do you set up a permanent forward in unix for email? (please do not actually do this, you will be unable to take first exam)
|Activities & Assignments
- Send the instructor an email with a paragraph or two about yourself to
his lampbusters address, username philw
- Send an email to someone else in the class (ask them first) and have
them send one to you
- Set up a .signature file and a simple .plan file (ctrl g to get help