Filezilla FTP Help
FTP (file transfer protocol) software is used to transfer a copy of your files
from your computer to a remote computer. This is mainly used to transfer files
onto a web server so that folks can SEE your files. So if you need to upload a
picture, flash, mp3 or html file,
Filezilla is a great open source program for you.
- Go to Filezilla
- Under "Quick Download Links" click "download filezilla client"
- Click the top one under Windows and it will start to download
- You can either save it to disk and double click on it to start it, or let your browser run it and install it, your choice
- Assuming filezilla is installed, go to "start" "Programs" "filezilla" to start Filezilla
- Then click on "File" and then "Site Manager" from the pull down menu
- The window on the left is the new version, the one on the right is the old one.
- For the server I run for my classes, click on the [New Site] button at the bottom of the window, give the link that shows up in the left side a name and hit enter (Lampbusters or whatever)
- Host: lampbusters.com
- Servertype: Choose SFTP- SSH File Transfer Protocol
- Logontype:Click the "normal" button for the new version, Choose "Ask for Passwd" for the old one
- User: Put in your username
- Click on Connect at the bottom of the site manager window. When the alert window
type your password
- A new window will open and hopefully you will connect.
- The window to the right (Labeled Remote Site:) should have a few odd files, and a public_html
- MAKE SURE you double click on the public_html folder to open it, and you should see any of the files
you already have on my server. This is where you MUST put your files if you want them to be visible on the web.
- The files located on the left hand side of the window(labelled Local Site:) are on YOUR computer.
If you want them to be visible on the web, you must copy them to the right hand side of the window.
- To transfer your files over to the public_html folder, first choose the E: drive (or whatever drive your files are on)
The image below shows everything ready to transfer over the filezilla003.png file from your E: drive (mine is called Kingston) to the public_htmldirectory for the user zhora.
- Then, if you double click on a file on the right side, you transfer a copy of it to the left side (And the reverse works too).
- Additional Filezilla Features
- NOW TO EDIT AND VIEW YOUR PAGES!!
- Very first time
- Open up a new page in an editor (notepad, jedit etc)
- Copy the from the opening <html> to the closing </html> from Basic HTML 5 page
- Paste it into your empty notepad++ document
- Save it it first as template.html
- Then save it as index.html which is what your homepage absolutely MUST be named to be a homepage on lampbusters.com
- REMEMBER: Spaces in filenames are evil! ;) and keep your filenames simple
- All other times:
- Open your file in notepad++ (or whatever editor you use, just NOT notepad nor wordpad) (Remember, you have to change
"Files of Type" to "All Files" or only .txt files
- If you are making a new file, open template.html, and "save as" and give it the newname.html
- You will have to fix the URL inside the validator link for that to work (should be the same as what shows up in your browser when you go to the page
- As you make changes, do "File Save" in notepad++
- Then upload file in Filezilla
- Then hit reload in your browser, (or type
or https://www.lampbusters.com/username/filename.html the first time
(NOTE: if you just type lampbusters.com/username/etc it autoforwards to https://www.lampbusters.com.... this is something I have set up on my server, it is not standard behavior, but hopefully it will be in the future as the internet takes security a bit more seriously
- Every time you make a change, save, upload, reload
- If you add a new file, you need to hit the "Refresh" button in
Filezilla for it to show up
- Rinse, repeat enjoy!